Spring is nice for many reasons: flowers bloom, you can open windows for fresh air and your utility bill is commonly at its cheapest. That’s because you’re not utilizing your heater or air.
But as temps begin to climb, so do your energy bills. Here are some tips for saving energy in Indianapolis and keeping bills less expensive.
1. Schedule Seasonal AC Maintenance
Giving your cooling system a yearly maintenance visit can help it work more efficiently and lower costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep utility bills low.
If your HVAC equipment has had better days, spring is an excellent time to update it. The energy-saving features in updated cooling systems is a definite plus in keeping your electricity bill down.
2. Turn to Your Thermostat
There’s an easy way you can save up to 10% on home comfort expenses. Just set your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours during the day.
Focusing on how to efficiently use your thermostat is the smartest way to lower energy bills in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re around at home. Consider it this way, the lower the difference between outdoor temperatures and interior temperatures, the cheaper your air conditioning bill will be.
- When you’re out and about, set the thermostat to a considerably higher temperature or switch it off. It doesn’t make sense to cool an empty home.
3. Try Other Methods to Cool Your House
You can do several other things to help keep your home cool:
- Use a ceiling fan—By turning on a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no reduction in comfort. Have your fan spin counterclockwise in the summer, which forces cool air upward. This moves cool air more uniformly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds closed—Sunlight quickly transforms into heat as it comes through windows. Keep your house comfortable by drawing blinds and curtains when you’re not using sunny areas.
4. Look Into Using a Smart Thermostat
You’re out and about and abruptly realize you failed to turn up the thermostat. Then you think about it the entire day!
Smart thermostats learn your routine and correct the temp when you’re not around to help you save on your bills. You can also change the temp from anywhere with your phone.
These expert tips will all help keep summer energy expenses less expensive. If you figure out it’s time to upgrade your thermostat or need AC installation, give our team a call at 317-527-0271 or contact us online. We’ll help you figure out the best product for your house. And as always, all our services are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.