How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Indianapolis Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments answer to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide cases each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s most often associated with wood stoves, car engines, and other fire combustion sources along with gas or oil furnaces.

Why should you be constantly aware of CO?

Not to be overly dramatic, but understanding the causes and ways to prevent excessive CO exposure is a matter of life and death. CO is among the leading causes of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO poisoning can be mistakenly labeled as the flu, viral infections and prolonged fatigue, among many others. This makes CO poisoning a very serious concern for any Indianapolis homeowner. Severe poisoning takes place from intaking large concentrations of CO, but poisoning can also occur over many months or years. Some signs may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness, and fatigue.

So what can you do?

  1. If you don’t have a CO detector in your home, get one right away. You can phone Broad Ripple Service Experts to purchase one today.
  2. If you do have a CO detector that is battery-powered, check or replace the batteries regularly; at least every 90 days. It's also a good idea to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced some of the symptoms cited above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning and get a second opinion if necessary.
  4. Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance each year to verify no CO leaks are present at the start of heating season. 
  5. If your furnace is approaching the end of its lifespan, consider a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a newer hvac system. 

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee the prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

chat now widget box