How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Indianapolis Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments respond to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide cases each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s most often connected to wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources along with gas or oil furnaces.

Why should you be constantly aware of CO2?

Not to be overly dramatic, but understanding the causes and ways to prevent excessive CO2 exposure is a matter of life and death. CO2 is among the leading ways of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning can be mistakenly labeled as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning a very serious concern for any Indianapolis homeowner. Serious poisoning takes place from intaking large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning may also happen gradually over many months or years. Some signs may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.

So what can you do?

  1. If you don’t have a CO2 detector in your home, get one right away. You can phone Broad Ripple Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one today.
  2. Existing CO2 detectors should be checked regularly (at least every 90 days). It's also a good idea to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced any of the symptoms cited above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Contact Us