Colder months in Indianapolis are near. In fact, the months of October through February have a history of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances occurring during those months. To understand the safety of your home, set up an annual furnace service now, before the middle of winter is upon us.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners understand that their furnace can release deadly carbon monoxide gas, but greater than half don't do anything to keep it from happening.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be surprisingly harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be mistaken for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that utilizes fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the opportunity to release carbon monoxide if the system is not operating properly or if it wasn’t installed correctly.
Your annual furnace service company can help uncover any potential issues. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Ensure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Look for any other out-of-place things that may compromise your safety
- Help you identify any additional areas where you may want to think about adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is operating at its top efficiency, helping give you peace-of-mind that you’re in a great spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to remember that many furnace manufacturers may require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the pros at Broad Ripple Service Experts can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 317-527-0271 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the winter months.