Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other space to your residence, being comfortable in your new room no matter the weather is important. However, they can create a unique challenge for heating and cooling. This is since extending ductwork is expensive. And that your heating and cooling system may not be work properly with the higher load, as it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most reasonably priced options is to get a mini-split. This system provides energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Learn more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition can be a fantastic solution.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Operate
A ductless mini-split, as they’re nearly identical to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have used for decades.
Heat pumps are highly energy efficient as they transfer heat to make your addition cozier. In actuality, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which may make you eligible for additional rebates and reduce your utility costs for years to come.
Another unique feature is zoned heating and cooling. Because each room usually has a dedicated indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. As an example, a mini-split AC is particularly helpful if you have a space with special temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Room
Installing a mini-split system is worth it for areas that don’t have ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s wiser than extending ductwork and relying on your existing heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is expensive. Extending ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the total cost will depend on your home, it run thousands of dollars.
- Your present home comfort system may become overworked. When your current heating and cooling system was chosen, it was based on the square footage of your home prior to the addition. This could stress your system and make it wear down more rapidly.
- Your comfort could be impacted. Because your heating and cooling system is sized for specific square footage, your comfort might suffer if your system has to manage a bigger location. Your heating and cooling may be less effective, and your energy expenses could skyrocket as a result of the system needing to run more regularly.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like traditional systems, mini-splits are available in varying sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most frequently installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you collaborate our Experts at Broad Ripple Service Experts, we’ll help you choose the right size for your new addition. And your wallet.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can result in sizable energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or greater when adequately tuned up. ENERGY STAR says getting one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in contrast to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Broad Ripple Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you choose the right model to delivering Expert mini-split installation, Broad Ripple Service Experts can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently finished one, we can provide support. Contact us at 317-527-0271 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.