Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing strange noises when your air conditioner is working? There’s likely something wrong with your AC. If you don’t fix it, it could lead to significant—and expensive—troubles later. We’re going to help you understand what’s going on with your air conditioner and what you can do to fix it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling usually indicates a problem with your refrigerant line. If you can’t determine where the noise is originating from, that’s alright. A technician can help find out where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could result from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will generate a noise outside your house. Aging ductwork can produce noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can be caused by a leaky refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is likely an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can be due to a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A noticeable noise from your outside unit can signal an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can arise from fan motor issues or a busted relay switch. Read through our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about frequent air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep operating my system when it’s making a noise?
There are a few cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s difficult to answer this question without inspecting your system.
Most of the time, we recommend shutting off the unit off and bringing in a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you recognize there’s something wrong with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected expense, it’s better to get problems taken care of right away. Getting a professional could help lower future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
How to Find an Effective HVAC System
In terms of keeping your home comfortable all year, nothing is more critical than choosing the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This choice impacts your daily comfort, monthly utility expenses and overall home efficiency. But, with so many system types, sizes and... Continue reading
Yearly HVAC Maintenance Guidelines
Once the air turns chilly, you know it’s time to get your home ready for the cooler months ahead. Your heating system is key to maintaining a cozy, warm setting. A well-maintained furnace provides the comfort you want while using a smaller amount of energy. Routine inspections also make your... Continue reading
HVAC Trends: What’s New in 2024
In the continuously changing world of home HVAC, keeping up with the current HVAC trends is imperative for homeowners who want to enhance their home’s comfort and efficiency. As we move into 2024, the HVAC industry continues to innovate, bringing cutting-edge technologies and trends that promise... Continue reading