When bad weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair professional to check your system after the storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your prep worked.
At Broad Ripple Service Experts, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time may not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets thrown around during threatening weather. Just make sure you have turned the system fully off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a protected place so that they don’t get thrown around during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to go back outside, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Broad Ripple Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Indianapolis, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other issues that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for threatening weather in Indianapolis or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 317-527-0271 or schedule an appointment with Broad Ripple Service Experts through our online scheduler.