When bad weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair professional to check your system afterwards, they can possibly provide you with good news that your prep worked.
At Broad Ripple Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time may not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets tossed around during threatening weather. Just be sure you have turned the system completely off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a protected place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to return outside, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Broad Ripple Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Indianapolis, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other issues that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for threatening weather in Indianapolis or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Broad Ripple Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.