Each year over 20,000 people visit the emergency room because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is called the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is given off by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the heating months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep you safe, Broad Ripple Service Experts is here with a few tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Put in a CO detector on each floor of your home and swap out the batteries annually.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, a distance over three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Power off space heaters and ensure all embers in the fireplace are completely extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like concrete or tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, purchase a model that turns off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Do not use a cooking range to warm your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally checked and cleaned annually.
The best thing you can do for your furnace is to make sure it’s not only ready to keep your home warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your heating tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Broad Ripple Service Experts will check to ensure your heating equipment is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 317-527-0271 today and find out how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.